Porters Avenue Doctors' Surgery

020 8596 7850

Child and Family Doctors

020 8911 3740

If you have received a letter regarding your registration status with the surgery please click here

Register Now

If you live within the RM8, RM9, RM10 and IG11 postcode you can register with us today and we will contact you to arrange a full health check and introduce you to our team of doctors and nurses.

Click here for registration

Sickness certificates

Sickness certificates

You do not normally need a sickness certificate for the first seven days of illness. The Statutory Sick Pay Regulations state that employers are required to accept self-certification notes (filled in by you) for the first seven days of illness. All employers must comply with these regulations. You only need a doctor's certificate during the first seven days of illness if you wish to claim benefits other than Statutory Sick Pay, for example, benefits under a private insurance scheme, or to take your pre-booked holiday as sick leave instead. In these circumstances we make a charge of £10 for a private sickness certificate. To continue to claim Statutory Sick Pay after the first week of illness you will need a doctor's certificate, which will be provided free of charge. To claim other benefits, such as those under private insurance schemes, you will need to bring the appropriate form for us to fill in.

Sick Notes or Medical Certificates Information: Questions and Answers

Q. Do you need a doctor's certificate in the first seven days of an illness?

No, Illnesses that last less than one week are usually minor and self-limiting and you may not require a visit to a doctor. It can be difficult for your doctor to judge whether or not you are incapable of reporting for work in this situation and all the certificate really indicates is that you attended the surgery on a specific date complaining that you had a minor illness. In general, the Department of Health, the Department for Work and Pensions, employers, doctors and patients do not recommend that you attend your doctor for certification alone. Your GP is required to issue a certificate only if your absence from work through sickness lasts more than seven days.

Q. What do you need?

For the FIRST FOUR DAYS of any illness you do not require any form of certification. (It is for you to decide if you are fit for work.)

For the NEXT THREE DAYS (including Saturdays and Sundays) you must fill in a self-certification form SC2 which is available from your employer.

After the FIRST SEVEN DAYS you will need a doctor's certificate and will have to attend the doctor to get a Department for Work and Pensions sick note.